Finished with another book!

The first book of the Devastated Earth series now has a complete first draft! I’m handing it over to a friend today along with the first book of the New Empire series for a preliminary review. While he’s doing that I’m going to reread the New Empire volume one and check for grammar/spelling errors. I’d like to think that a professional editor would be in the future, but money is very tight right now. My progress with these two books may just stall after that.

But I do have a stand-alone book to write. The outline is complete and I basically just have to type it all out. This could take some time of course, but it has more completed ahead of time than the other two had. Depending on how long my review of the other two take I may just hold this book off as a NaNoWriMo project. Only time will tell.

pinetwork1.jpgIn other news I’ve been playing with my Raspberry Pi’s a lot more. This website is now being hosted on one, which has become a part of the home network. It has a nightly backup, weekly restart, and SFTP capability. Through this project I’ve learned a lot more about Linux (especially the command prompt). I’ve also put some more touches on my Pi Calendar (an older Raspberry model B+ that hangs in the den).

The best part of this setup is if the power flickers, or fails the Pi puts almost no strain on my UPS. My big PLEX/file server shuts down after one minute and the routers, modem, and Pi just keep chugging along. Unless it’s left unattended for some time the website stays up and running.

That’s it for now. Good day and safe travels!

I went and got distracted, but I haven’t lost interest.

First and foremost, I’ve made some changes to Rex’s Den. You won’t notice by just looking but I’ve changed the file layout. When I had switched over to Flatpress I threw the actual blog into a subfolder. I did that to keep things cleaner, but it had ‘unforeseen’ effects. So I’ve changed it to be more accommodating to search engines. This also means that previous links to articles will be broken.

Now on to actual fun stuff:

My writing has been compromised as of late. I’ve taken off for nearly a month (shame on me).

I’m trying to think back to when I got distracted and I can’t put a finger on the cause. I remember Star Trek Online’s summer event starting, but I think it was before that. Since then I’ve have a job interview to prep for, Pokemon Go finally hit America’s soil, and lots of little things have happened that just seems to pile up.

However, I have made some progress.[Read More…]

Cleaning up the spam

Red Stop Spam key on a computer keyboard with clipping path around the coloured key I decided to delete all of the comments on the blog yesterday. A few of them were relevant, but that was a very small percentage compared to the whole. So I nuked them all directly from the file structure (an advantage to using Flatpress). This is all in preparation for a revival in content.

I’ll be disabling comments from here on out but readers are encouraged to comment from social media. (Google+, Facebook, and Twitter. Of which I’ll be linking future posts from).

I’m attempting to locate some of the posts that I had moved over to the failed Cord-cutter site so that I can put them back up over here. Although it looks like I deleted them all. I’m not too happy about that. Some of them actually required some work and had good information.

Oh well.

My last book is up and available on Lulu. It has been for quite some time and I’m currently paused in the center of a free ‘in-between’ book. I paused in order to work on another project that I have high hopes for. It’s not science fiction, but fantasy. It’s also a completely new direction for my writing to take.

That’s it for today (and probably the next week). Stay safe my friends and pray for Spring![Read More…]

Upgraded the blog!

I’ve finally gotten around to upgrading this blog to the official release version 1.0. I had been sitting on it for a while until I found the time to do it safely while keeping all my settings, entries, and custom template. Installing a few plugins yesterday put me in the mood for it and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

I don’t really know what the upgrade adds to the blog exactly. I just wanted it to be completely caught up. It may be the same as the previous version. They probably just figured that the bugs were worked out so they made it official.

I also added a link to the Links Page. Engadget, as another technological news resource.

 

[back top top]